Tuesday 29 November 2011

Lionheart Magazine

Hels Martin often features in my blog posts - she is a fascinating, enthusiastic writer whose words are so romantic and exciting. I love it when she asks me to illustrate alongside them. (Keep your eyes peeled in the future, we have discussed working together on a little project that will be magical, I'm sure).

Earlier this year, when visiting Fritha in Bristol, we went along to a focus group with Hels, discussing our likes and dislikes in the magazines available to us right now. She had research, notebooks, pictures and magazines with her, all ready to get her very own magazine underway. We talked about magazines we loved, subjects we didn't want and what we really desired from a magazine; creativity, stunning illustrations, beautiful photography, inspiring interviews, stories, lifestyle, traveling, real people, craft and style. We knew what we wanted and we knew Hels was the one to produce this perfect magazine. She talked so passionately about it, this magazine was clearly her dream and now, just months on, she has done it! She has finished the first issue and it will be launched next month! (It is now officially with the printers!)



I knew she was determined but I never dreamed she would get there so quickly. She is so dedicated, strong and inspiring. So so inspiring. Watching her achieve this at all, let alone so quickly, has made me more sure than ever that I will follow my dreams, I will illustrate for a career. And I will love doing it! I'm really excited about the future too, so much is possible! Thank you Hels for showing me this, thank you for how supportive of me you are and thank you for the faith you have always shown in me. I am honoured to have a few illustrations in her magazine and I'm sure we will continue to work together for many years!

I have only met Hels once but through twitter, emails and all those features we've worked on together, I feel like I know her. And I'm proud! Very proud of her! Some of her own words about the magazine:

"This is my dream. This here is a blog, dedicated to this dream.
At a time when print is out, the media is going through a transition and we’re all assessing 
our bank balances, it’s on, the dream. It’s on. I may never have a mortgage, but I’m darn well making this magazine."

Helen is having a launch party for the magazine in a few weeks (I really hope I can make it!). She will have homemade pizza, crafts, prints to buy (including some of mine!), demonstrations and much more. Perfect! If you know Helen, I'm sure you'll be just as proud, if not, find her at the following places:


 I will share updates/photos/sneak peeks as they come! I'm looking forward to sharing the illustrations I have done for the magazine once it is launched! I'm happy with the work I've produced and cannot wait to see them in print!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your amazing support and absolutely beautiful work Abby. This post brought a tear to my eye! Love working with you and long may it continue that we do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful post and i agree with every word! wish i could attend the launch party though! and Abby, your work is always so beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it in Lionheart! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know your thoughts! I read and appreciate every comment I receive.